Just So We're Clear...
Catholic League president Bill Donohue does not speak for me. He does not speak for the majority of Catholics. And when I see him quoted in the New York Times or on some news program as a guest analyst, it makes me ill to think that people might see him and think that's what Catholics (and Catholicism) is all about.
Why don't I like him? Because he is a bigot and a bully. He insults people who don't think like him, and believes that anything said against the church is anti-Catholic. Heaven forbid some criticism might be from people who love the Church and want to make it better. Let's see some of his choice quotes:
- "People don't trust the Muslims when it comes to liberty." [MSNBC's Scarborough Country, 2/9/06]
- "The gay community has yet to apologize to straight people for all the damage that they have done." [MSNBC's Scarborough Country, 4/11/05]
- "We've already won. Who really cares what Hollywood thinks? All these hacks come out there. Hollywood is controlled by secular Jews who hate Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular. It's not a secret, OK? And I'm not afraid to say it. ... Hollywood likes anal sex. They like to see the public square without nativity scenes. I like families. I like children. They like abortions. I believe in traditional values and restraint. They believe in libertinism. We have nothing in common. But you know what? The culture war has been ongoing for a long time. Their side has lost." [MSNBC's Scarborough Country, 12/8/04]
- "Well, look, there are people in Hollywood, not all of them, but there are some people who are nothing more than harlots. They will do anything for the buck. They wouldn't care. If you asked them to sodomize their own mother in a movie, they would do so, and they would do it with a smile on their face." [MSNBC's Scarborough Country, 2/9/06]
- Addressing former Rep. Mark Foley (R-FL) in a press release, Donohue asked: "[W]hy didn't you just smack the clergyman in the face? After all, most 15-year-old teenage boys wouldn't allow themselves to be molested. So why did you?" [10/4/06]
So the next time he spouts something in the media, call a real Catholic and ask them what they think instead of believing one word from this guy's mouth.
Thanks to Media Matters for providing an easy list of quotes. If you want to find more, a quick web search can turn up some other crazy things he's said.