Thursday, September 04, 2008

Offending Community Organizers Everywhere

"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."

That was meant to be a jab at Obama, of course, but I took it more as a jab at community organizers in general.

Governor Palin: I know community organizers. I've worked with community organizers. You are no community organizer.

Take your political shots at Obama; he's fair game if you want to go there. But don't insult the people that selflessly and tirelessly give of themselves to make other people's lives better. Helping people find new jobs. Helping people find something to eat. Helping people find a place to sleep at night. Helping people understand complicated legal forms and applications. Helping people stand up for themselves when their neighborhoods are faced with threats from much bigger foes. Helping people regain their dignity and keep their humanity.

I take great offense at your line of attack, and I hope you'll change your strategy going forward (after you apologize to community organizers, that is).

Edit (9/5): I heard a terrific quote: "Jesus was a community organizer." There's actually more to it, but I'm not going to repost the mean part.

Also interesting to note that the theme of the convention was "Country First- Service, Reform, Prosperity, Peace." Monday's theme was "Serving a Cause Greater Than Self," and Tuesday's was simply "Service."













Photo copyright 2008 Republican National Committee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home