Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Who Said It?

I didn't decide to run for president to start a national crusade for the political reforms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to be president because it had become my ambition to be president. . . . In truth, I'd had the ambition for a long time.
Those words are by...

John McCain in his 2002 memoir Worth Fighting For. Or, more accurately, they are from John McCain's co-author (as I understand it, I'd actually call him the lead author) Mark Salter. Maybe McCain felt comfortable publishing those words in 2002 because he didn't think he'd have another presidential campaign in him after he was Roved by the Bush campaign in 2000.

Or maybe he felt comfortable publishing those words because he could take political cover since those words weren't written by him. As Salter explained to the Washington Post, "It's his voice, but I'm going inside his head to speak some psychological truth about him. I'm drawing a conclusion based on my observation of him. I always show him: 'This is what I've written. This is what I think about you. Is this fair?' "

Still, Salter admits that McCain approved what he wrote, so disavowing that now might be tricky. No trickier than explaining how "I'm John McCain, and I approved this message" is played at the end of his lie-filled ads against Obama, though. Oh, wait -- he doesn't explain that. He says they're all true. (More on that in a future blog.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home